Traditional Tuscan soup
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can 14 oz (398 ml) Graves red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
1 can 14 oz (398 ml) Graves green beans , drained
1 can 14 oz (398 ml) Graves yellow beans , drained
3 cups (750 ml) low sodium chicken stock
1 cup (250 ml) chopped tomatoes with juice
1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried basil
1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup (80 ml) mini-shells
- In a pot, heat oil to medium heat and sauté onions and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add beans, chicken stock, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Stir, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook mini-shells in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Drain.
- Add mini-shells to soup and serve.