Chick pea nuggets
1 can of 398 ml Graves Chick Peas, ¼ cup of the liquid reserved (aquafaba)
½ cup breadcrumbs (panko or gluten-free)
½ cup rolled oats
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and toast in oven until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
3. Blend the oats in a food processor or blender until fine, like flour. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Place a strainer over a mixing bowl. Pour Graves Chick Peas into the strainer so the liquid drains into the bowl below – you will need 1⁄4 cup of this liquid. Place the chick peas into the food processor with salt and the other seasonings and pulse until crumbly.
5. Separately, whisk 1⁄4 cup of the chick pea liquid (called “aquafaba”) until foamy. Add the aquafaba and most of the oat flour, reserving a couple tbsp, to the crumbly chick pea mixture in the food processor. Pulse until it forms a ball. If the mixture is too wet, add the remaining oat flour.
6. With your hands, shape the mixture into individual nuggets. This recipe should make roughly 10-12 nuggets.
7. Roll the nuggets in the bread crumbs to coat and then place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
8. Bake until crispy and golden, 15 to 20 minutes at 375°F. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.