Curry chick pea soup
1/3 cup (80 ml) pearl barley
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ tbsp (7 ml) freshly chopped ginger
3 cups (750 ml) chicken stock
5 ml (1 tsp) curry powder
1 can 14 oz (398 ml) Graves chick peas , drained and rinsed
2 tbsp (30 ml) 15% cooking cream
2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
1 Italian tomato, seeded and chopped
1/3 cup (80 ml) plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup (80 ml) freshly chopped cilantro
- Cook barley in boiling salted water for about 20 minutes. Rinse in cold water.
- In a pan, heat olive oil at medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and ginger.
- Moisten with broth, salt to taste and add curry.
- Bring to a boil, add chick peas and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice, cooked barley and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Garnish each bowl with yoghurt and fresh cilantro.